Jimmy Kent .... The Tidewater Sportshooter
Products & Policies
What's Covered On This Site!
My main job is working as a photo editor and staff photographer for the Lifetouch National School Studios in southeastern Virginia. My work supports a long list of client schools that the company contracts with for photographic services. All of the images I photograph for the company are done on a basic "work for hire" basis. I photograph. I deliver the images. The company compensates me in wages and benefits. Current company policy states that Lifetouch claims usage rights on all images I provide the company for up to two school years ... the current school year and the previous school year. During this time period, the studio archives my images, provides them to their client schools and uses the images for in-house promotion as they see fit. At the conclusion of this time period, the company destroys their copies of my images and I reclaim usage rights based on the fact that I am the photographer of record.
Because of the time commitment to my job, 80% of the images I shoot year round are not immediately available for sale at this site. What you currently see posted are images of events I recently photographed outside the studio or images that I have reclaimed rights from Lifetouch. No images I have shot for Lifetouch AFTER July 1,2010 are currently available.
I do have a growing personal archive of images dating as far back as January 2000. In time, I will be constructing an "Archive Page" which will eventually list all of the school teams and special events I have photographed. These images can be made available for viewing and purchase by request.
Products Sold on this Site
Prints of all images posted on this site can be ordered through ezprints of Norcross, Georgia. Print sizes are available from wallet sizes up to 30" X 40" portrait size prints. The site has available shopping cart software with fully secured e-commerce ordering capability.
Digital Image Downloads
Digital files off all images on this site can be downloaded for your personal, non- profit use. Image files can be purchased individually or in entire galleries. Digital Images are sold in four sizes.Type of Image File
SizeWeb Ready640 X 480 Pixels or 0.3 mega-pixelsLow Resolution1 mega-pixels (Approximately 820 X 1230 pixels)High Resolution4 mega-pixelsOriginal Full Uploaded Size
4.0 to 6.7 mega-pixels
Watermarks and Disconnecting Your "Right Click Save"
From 2000 through 2006, I ran "Sportpixx of Virginia", one of the first sports photo site of its' kind. At the time, I did not considered the concept of visitors using their right button on their computer's mouse to save downloaded copies of my images as a significant financial threat. I considered it an honor when I was told how cool it was that my images we all over the wallpaper on a site visitor's home computer or that a relative enjoyed getting a image via e-mail. Digital devices were limited to desktop tower and laptop computers. I posted images at such low resolution, I did not considering restricting downloads an issue. They were too small to makes prints from. What else could be done with them?
In the five years before I reestablished a professional web presence, the amount of digital devices and platforms to display image content has multiplied. You have "YouTube", "My Space", "Facebook", peer to peer file sharing networks, smart phones, smarter phones, tablet computers and even high definition televisions ... all of which encourage the acquisition of copyrighted material without proper compensation to the image creator. It is much more difficult for a photographer to make a living wage or even a decent supplemental income with a site like this than it used to.
Therefore, I have been forced to install the following features on this site ...
1) Software has been provided by the site host to disengage the right mouse button on all or most visitors' computers. This is not fool proof solution to eliminate all image downloading but hope is that it will deter most of it.
2) All images, either full size or thumbnail, have been watermarked by a light white horizontal band across the width of the image. This is a step up in security when all I used to do in the past was to place a copyright stamp in an out of the place on my images. Watermarks do deter from the impact and personal enjoyment of an image. I hope the obtrusion is minimal. All watermarks are removed at the time of sale, whether you are ordering a print, product or an on-line download.
I thank you for your understanding and cooperation on this issue.
Procedure to Request Image Removal
It is my hope that all phonographs shown on this site convey a positive image of everyone involved. It is never my intent to publish pictures causing embarrassment to anyone. Therefore, I will be willing to remove from this site any image, at any time, for any reason, provided that the person requesting the removal can be verified and spoken to directly. To start the process, do the following ...
1. Contact me by e-mail!
2. In the subject box type ... "Request image removal" or something similar.
3. Make a list of specific file names you wish to have removed. The file names are the eight digit numbers located at the lower left corner of the main image viewer screen. The file number can also be seen in the photo information box (click on the blue "i" icon) that appears when you scroll over the large image.
4. State the reason for removal.
5. The image(s) will be removed within five business days of receiving the request.
From 2001 through 2006, of over 200,000 images posted, I had only ONE (1) request to remove ONE (1) image ... which was immediately handled to the individual's satisfaction. It is never my intent to embarrass ... only to make you look good.
All images on this site © 2001-2012 by James Daniel Kent; All rights reserved